Yes, I actually do get something out of going to class. Today in Political Science, we were discussing Gorgias by Plato...while I was examining my NCAA bracket. I had one ear in the conversation however, and my professor asked the class if one painful experience would cause the rest of your life to be miserable. That really caught my attention and I continued to really think about it the rest of the period.
There is no reason that one event should set your whole life back. There is a difference between one miserable experience and and being genuinely happy. Everybody has miserable experiences. The happy man is the one who continues on to be in that happy state, regardless of what just happened to him. Sure, we were sent here to this Earth for a test, so it's going to be a rough road. But, we were also sent here so we could know joy and happiness. We can't experience pleasure without pain, and joy without sadness. Do you realize that heartache comes so we can eventually experience bliss? It's not a punishment. In the long scheme of things, He's doing you a favor.
I thought it was really interesting that I could hear all that in a college class. I absolutely love the fact that at BYU the professors can relate anything to the gospel, and make it applicable to our spiritual lives.
Back to the subject...one occurence shouldn't set you back from the years you've spent trying to make yourself happy. That's the difference between a man living on Earth, and a man experiencing Earth. Experience comes by trial and error and those trials will only last as long as you want them to. Once you know what they are there, you can take a good look at the cards that life has dealt you and play them how you will. You can choose...happiness or not.
It's that easy. However--easier said than done. Believe me, I know. But being genuinely happy? It's so worth it.
1 comment:
I couldn't agree with you more. Perfectly worded. PS. I love that picture of us at the top of your blog. Love you!
Post a Comment