April 15, 2012

Real women watch...ESPN.


I'll never understand how some women don't appreciate sports. How can anyone not get into it? Maybe it was just the environment I was raised in, but if you tell me you don't appreciate any sort of athletic activity, I'll just assume you grew up in an ice cave in the middle of Antarctica. Have you never seen the World Cup? Or the Kentucky Derby? 


Some weekends when I am home, I just have ESPN on all day while I'm doing homework or cleaning, and my mom jokes that whoever I marry better want to watch the game and cuddle rather than going to dinner and a movie. I don't think I could plan a better date than that. I think one of the requirements of my future husband will be a scale ranking from 1-10 on how much he enjoys playing at least SOMETHING. If it's a 5 or under, it's a no-go. We're shooting for an 8.5-15.


First, it's the only thing on television that isn't sex, drugs or war. 


Second, it's pure competition. Of course, I'd rather be in the game than watching it, but it's just as exciting to watch amazingly athletic humans in their element. Basketball, specifically. I think because I know the game inside and out it's a lot more interesting, and I can see where they can go, where they can shoot, plays to make--I even had a dream last night that I walked on to the basketball team and started. Great dream. Then I woke up.


Football is even better because there are SO many things to know and understand. (At least for me.) Whenever I go to a game with someone who knows it a lot better than I do, I find myself asking too many questions and probably annoying them. But I figure guys want to impress girls about their knowledge, right? It's a win-win situation.


Maybe that's it. Maybe girls just don't know enough about the logistics to really appreciate them. So men, if you want your girl to watch the game with you, just try explaining it to her. She'll want to figure it out, and then you will get her to watch it intently with you. Who knows, she'll probably become a bigger Broncos fan than you.


One of the first questions I asked some sisters in my mission was if there were already basketball/volleyball games going on. Yes? Yes. Phew. I can leave now.

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh, I agree!!! I grew up in a household of all girls with a Dad who wasn't really ever into sports. And then married a man that couldn't care less about football, basketball, etc. And so I don't watch nearly as much as I would if Bryan was into sports. But I've long since realized that I would totally be into it with him if he was. He thinks I'm totally nuts when I go on and on about the BYU football games or the Superbowl or whatnot. (This weekend we were at Air Force Academy for Brandon's region gymnastics meet...and I got all sorts of excited when I saw the big Air Force stadium!! Bryan looked at me kind of funny...) :) And Brandon's meets??? I LOVE THEM!! SO much fun!

So I'm nowhere near at the same level you are in your love for all things sports. But I totally get it. And really wish that I had the opportunity to watch/go/participate more often.