January 29, 2012

My first story: NBA coverage.

Last night was my first time getting paid as a sports reporter! I was assigned to the Jazz/Kings game to tell our wonderful BYUtv audience about Jimmer's return to Utah. I don't think I could have asked for a better first story on air. It was a toss-up to see if I could actually get the interviews I wanted, but it turned out more wonderfully than I ever expected.


We (my cameraman and I) got there at 4:30, just in time to interview THE Jimmer with our trusty Media passes. Can I say going to the Jazz game, not only for free, but getting paid to go is the best job in the world?




Surprisingly, I got to ask him all the questions I wanted, and he looked pretty relieved that someone from his alma mater was there. I have proof he was, because this was the only time he kind of smiled in the interview. (And my arm really hurt holding up that microphone for so long.)



Photos courtesy of Deseret News:  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700220134/
Jimmer-Fredettes-return-shows-hes-still-an-NBA-work-in-progress.htm
l
We were then treated in the Hot Rud Hundley Media Center where they provided food and entertainment before the game. I got to have dinner with and talk to Craig Bolerjack and Thurl Bailey before they went off to go do their own reporting, and was introduced to the PR guys of the Utah Jazz. I really wanted for an internship opening, but I figured it was not the time nor place. I kept their contact information, don't worry. 

We had some time to kill before the game, so I wanted to get more interviews and my get stand-up out of the way. We went down on the sidelines to get some awesome footage, then walked around the concourse to scout out the fans with Brigham Young gear on. None of them turned me down for an interview--I even got a few little boys tapping me on the leg asking if they could be on TV! It was so cute to see them so excited about Jimmer coming to Utah.

When I got up to Media Row, I felt pretty legit when I saw this:


And looked out to see a clear view of this:


And then just got to sit and enjoy the game. It was so relaxing knowing the only thing I had left to do was get a few more interviews. Of course I STILL have to write the script...the biggest part. 


http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700220134/Jimmer-Fredettes-return-shows-hes-still-an-NBA-work-in-progress.html
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700220134/Jimmer-Fredettes-return-shows-hes-still-an-NBA-work-in-progress.html
After Jimmer air-balled the three (that would have been epic if it would have gone in--to pull them into OT) the team left the court to get ready for the press. While they were in the locker room, I got to talk to his girlfriend and former NFL Tight-End Chad Lewis. I was definitely in the right place at the right time to get personal insights on his journey to the NBA and what it's like to go pro. I got in a few questions with a couple of Kings players that think the world of their point guard, but also thought it was super weird to have the opposing crowd cheer for one of their teammates. 


Man, it was so much fun. When people take you seriously, you feel like a grown-up...and last night was one of the first times I felt like a grown-up. It was for my job, and not just a school assignment--that was the coolest part. I'm glad I get to try my hand at sportscasting, and this was definitely a first step in the door.


Don't worry...things can still go wrong...my story hasn't hit the air yet. Watch it tomorrow night at 8 ET/6 MT on BYUtv!

2 comments:

Chad Morris said...

If you ever need me stand in for you Monica, just let me know.

Laura said...

Very Cool!!!!!