I started a bigger project than I thought. A much bigger one.
A few weeks ago I decided I should probably start digitizing all of my journals. That way it would make it easier to find stories, people, experiences...but most of all, to make sure I never lose any of my past seven years. Even just writing in my journal daily is a huge project in itself. So, last night I only did a couple hours worth, and only got through a month and a half. Great, I've got, let's see, seven years to go. Looks like I found myself a project over Christmas break!
Now, I don't consider mine a "diary." Some girls try to write Nicolas Spark's novels about their love lives, including how great/bad their best friends are...but all I have is simply what happened to me and what I felt through the process. It's not terribly interesting. It doesn't need to be.
I've noticed though, that my journal entries have gotten significantly longer and in more detail throughout the years. When I go back to read them, it's almost like I'm understanding why things happened because I know the outcome, or vice versa. It is so interesting, and quite hilarious to be honest. It's one of my favorite things to do! I can remember so much more about high school and the beginning of college because I wrote it all down and I re-read it. I can see how much I've changed, and how much other people have changed. Let me repeat, it's so interesting.
![]() |
| via: pinterest |
"You have to know the past to understand the present."
-Dr. Carl Sagan
-Dr. Carl Sagan
What I'll be doing with my children (thank Pinterest for the idea) is I'll keep a journal for each of them throughout their growing up years and give it to them either when they move out or get married. The entries won't be as long as mine are, but I know that my best treasures are hand-written letters from my parents. How great would it be to have an entire journal full of things your parents thought about you since day one? I'm excited. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it a secret.
Here's the plug: If you haven't started keeping a journal, start tonight. It's one of the best things that I've ever done.

No comments:
Post a Comment