November 23, 2011

First day on the job.

I woke up this morning thinking yesterday was a dream. Okay, super cliche I know, but I'm not joking. I really did. Don't you love that feeling?


My first day at work was amazing. Then last night I got to hang out with my best friends from high school, and laughed so hard my abs hurt for hours after. I realized (again) how incredible my friends I grew up with are. I can't believe it's been three years! But, I really want to talk about my first day at work. I thought my job at the Cougar Club was the best job on campus...but now I'm in my dream job. Literally, my dream job. 


The ultimate goal...and what my face looked like most of yesterday morning.
I walked in to our new broadcasting building yesterday morning, while they were putting up the Christmas tree in the lobby. I think it was a sign. Then my boss, Jarom, took me around for a quick tour of the building, and told me what the goals of True Blue were, in a nutshell. As the new AP of True Blue, (which he explained to me as BYUtv's version of SportsCenter) I was nothing but enthralled at everything, and especially everything I have access to for my job. The new edit bays (where I'll learn Final Cut Pro), the control room, studios A, B, and C, and quite possibly my favorite part: we've got an equipment checkout where you can go to ask for your own camera, stick mic, tripod, etc, and...the best part...a videographer. No more of this one-man-band stuff! 


Which is stuff that I'll actually need. Instead of just producing (which I still like the best for now), Jarom told me that anytime I had a story idea, I can just go shoot one. Of course, once I get the hang of how the show works. So eventually I'll be a producer and a reporter for True Blue, along with sometimes sitting in the director's chair. Yes, I am 10% panicking. But the other 90%, I'm absolutely stoked. I have so much to learn. But I get to graduate with a resume in my hand. I'll be able to tell ESPN that I'm 22 years old and I already have been a sports director, reporter, and producer. The coolest thing though--we've got a handful of journalism students working as talent in the broadcasting building, so BYU Journalism as a whole looks great right after graduation.


Excuse me while I go watch a million episodes of SportsCenter and True Blue to figure out what in the world I'm doing.

No comments: