November 1, 2011

Dream job...coming to life.

So I have to start small. But doesn't everyone? I've got to get there somehow. 


Yesterday I spent a few hours in our new BYU broadcasting building during the pre-pro and taping of TrueBlue. It was AWESOME. TrueBlue is the BYUtv sports show basically summing up what happened in BYU sports throughout the week. Highlights are pulled, feature stories on big athletes are written--it's sports 24/7. I got to sit wide-eyed in Production Control Room 1 with all of the producers, watch them yell out commands in their headset, and see it actually happen on the huge bright screens that were all over the walls. This was the real deal, they aren't students anymore! (Well, Elevennews is the real deal...but you know what I mean.) So basically, I was in heaven. This is exactly what I want to do. And I get the chance when I'm only 20 years old? Another reason why my major, specifically at BYU, is arguably the best. I mean, who else has their own state-of-the-art building right on campus?



Cross your fingers...I hope I get to be their production assistant. Oh, and I also get to produce CoogTube next semester. BOOYAH. CoogTube is our student-run sports show on channel 11, Fridays at noon. I'll give a shout-out to Briana, she's one of the anchors this semester, and does a fantastic job! 


Briana and I. She's anchor of CoogTube, AND our football secretary.
Samantha Steele and Hannah Storm, anyone? We love our job.


As one of the first female sportscasters, I may be following in my mom's footsteps, but let's be honest...what better footsteps could I follow? 16 years at ESPN did my mom wonders and brought our family a love for sports I don't think can be measured. Here she is in her "golden days" (get it...that incredible 80's jacket) doing a promo for Scholastic Sports America. She also covered College GameDay, World Cup Skiing, World Cup Soccer, the Kentucky Derby, etc. 


 

My mom back in her ESPN days. I think she looks even better now! 

Visiting mom at work. Bristol, CT


So what if my ringtone is the ESPN theme song. What else do you expect?

2 comments:

Hannah Joy said...

Is your ringtone really the ESPN theme song? That is the SHIZ!! Yay for dreams coming true! Good work, Mon!

Monica H. said...

Yes, yes it is. :) Thanks, Hannah!!