October 8, 2011

Beauty product must haves.

I saw another blog post on this and thought it was a genius idea. I'm always curious as to what tricks everyone has for the dreaded daily routine...basically to make things go faster so I can push snooze one more time. Here's what I've always gone back to, and what's always worked. (If any boys are reading this...this probably won't be of any interest to you. Sorry.)

  • Skin-colored lip gloss. It's not a "WHOA she's wearing lip gloss," but it's just subtle enough to make a difference. It can easily be applied on the way to school/work. That's why it's always in my car...I would never remember if it was in my makeup bag. More specifically...this is my favorite:


  • Going along with the nude color...skin colored nail polish. My favorite is the OPI version, it's called Dulce de Leche. Again, not too much, but I feel much more put together.



  • You need to have this if you're a girl (and if you're a guy and still reading this, that's weird.): Eyeshadow from Bare Essentials. More specific colors: Pussycat. Nude beach. (I obviously like that color.) Soul Sister, and Grace. They cost $12 each, but they last forever. Not lying. I have a few containers that I bought my first semester of freshman year, and there is still plenty left. But if you were to just buy one: Pussycat.

  • My favorite trick: mixing liquid foundation with baby lotion. One, saves you half of your foundation. Two, it makes it so you're not caked with foundation. Three, instant moisturizer! Four, it smells awesome. I do about a 2/3 foundation : 1/3 lotion ratio. 





  • 2" Hot Tools curling iron. It curls...without curling. It's a soft curl at the ends, that's a much better alternative to stick straight hair that's already dead in your first class of the day. It even takes a lot less time than actually straightening.


  • Vaseline. If you smother it on your hands overnight, you wake up with silk hands. I'm serious. Try it.



  • Drink water. I think that should be put at number one. Try at least 3 liters a day...yeah that's a lot, but your skin will be glowing and you'll notice a huge difference in your metabolism if kept up. 


  • Perfume. Wear it. Choose your favorite one, and stick to it. I only have recently stuck to just one, and I'm devoted to it. It took awhile to choose with lots of help from Kaitlin and Stephie, but I'm glad I found my one and only. So don't go buy this.



  • This clears my skin no matter what. Neutrogena Clear Pore. Granted everyone's skin is different, but I use it twice a week and it does wonders. Just a mask for ten minutes...I definitely can't laugh when it's on because it dries so fast, but it feels awesome when it's finally off. 



  • Last but not least: cotton headbands. Throw one on before the gym. Or right when you wake up and don't have time to do your hair. Hair is pulled out of your face in an instant, with no bobby pins, flyaways, or annoying plastic headbands that hurt the back of your ears. Fantastic purchase...and they're really cheap. My favorite is the gray one, and it's always on my nightstand. 





This was quite fun for me to put together. I hope no boys actually got through this whole thing. If you did, hopefully you found something helpful...? Or you just know a lot more about my personal grooming.

3 comments:

Callie said...

ummm... without expecting it, I found every single one of these useful! You're amazing!

Danielle said...

Hey! I don't know if you remember me.. we met a few years ago. I am a good friend of Anna James... we were roommates freshman year at Utah State. Anyway I came across your blog and I LOVE it! I especially loved this post.. I'm will Callie on this one- every single one of these things are the best beauty tips! Bravo. Just one quick question- What kind of foundation do you use? I have never been able to find one that I actually like. Thanks for the tips!

Monica H. said...

Yes I remember you! Anna would always talk about you. You're super awesome. haha But thank you so much!! I use CoverGirl advanced radiance. It seriously lasts forever. It has a little pump so you don't even make a mess. AWESOME, right? And then sometimes I do powder too and that's from Bare Essentials. And I would highly recommend that...its incredible. haha hope that helped!