March 19, 2012

Live television.

It was my first night on live TV! I covered the gymnastics meet as the sideline reporter, and it was pretty dang fun. When I say live TV, I bet you MAYBE a thousand people watched it  (Maybe I'm totally off--someone correct me if I am...) out of the 60 million homes it goes to. So it's not like I was on Good Morning America, just good ole' BYUtv. Surprisingly, going live is so much easier than trying to figure out a studio show. I guess because in studio shows, we have time to make everything perfect. In live TV, if it's not perfect, you just laugh and move on. Everybody has a great time and you're pretty much flying by the seat of your pants. (And I wasn't even in the truck.)

Yes, I know what gymnastics is. No, I have never been to a gymnastics meet. So trying to talk on camera about something I know nothing about was pretty interesting. I didn't even have time to get stressed about it because I helped in pre-pro for True Blue this morning, wrote, voiced and edited the Women's recap of the NCAA tournament, then went straight to sidelining...to try and read everything I can about collegiate gymnastics. Apparently 195 is a good score, and if you're over 5'6" you're toast.

Thankfully, my next live gig will be next Thursday at the Men's Volleyball match--where I actually know everything that's going on! I can ask them intelligent volleyball-ish questions and not look like some reporter who got thrown on the shoot last minute. I know who the players and coaches are, and I love the game! That helps a ton. Oh yeah, and did I mention it's Men's Volleyball?

With that being said, I respect gymnasts a lot more after tonight. They are tiny little people...with amazing talent. They can whip their bodies in a way that I never even thought of, and wow they are so strong!  They also have so much love and respect for their team. There was not one girl sitting out nor one girl not getting attention from the rest of her teammates. It was a good experience and I can't wait to do it again. Watch BYUtv Sports on Thursday March 29th at 7 MT/9 ET. You don't have to have cable to watch it...if you go to byutv.org, you'll always be able to watch the live stream on your computer. 

Here's my story from last Monday. I was in charge of LB's. (No standup, sorry.) 




Sportscasting is FUN!

2 comments:

bobandhelen said...

Ouch! We forgot to watch Tru-Blue last night! And we didn't know about the gymnastics bit! PLEASE let us know about your reporting before, not after, and is Thursday going to be on BYU.tv? Time?
Do you have a video of the gymnastics spot? Watched the LB video and you do so well!

Josh&Sharsti said...

Great job! You're a natural