"Moreover, states that spring up overnight, like all other things in nature that are born and grow in a hurry, cannot have their roots deep in the soil, so they shrivel up in the first drought, blow over in the first storm." -Machiavelli's The Prince
I'm reading The Prince for one of my Poli Sci classes, and little did I know how interesting it is. Machiavelli says it straight to the point, and isn't afraid of what other people think. He's really the first modern politician that brought about this new way of leadership. He clearly states how he sees the government and how it should be ruled. It's a must-read for anyone remotely interested in politics...and I'm only a few chapters in.
Anyway, while I was reading, I came across this quote that hit me pretty hard. Machiavelli is discussing how the states within government don't pop up themselves. They take time and patience. It's like I'm being hit in the face with Someone trying to teach me patience. I think that everything should happen now and if it doesn't happen now then it will never happen. It's actually quite the opposite. The longer I dig those roots in the ground, the more stable it'll be, and won't blow over in that first little storm. They'll eventually be able to withstand any big storm.
I've learned the most important things in life take that same patience. It's not always going to come in the first try, or maybe even the second. I have first hand knowledge that my "third time's a charm," actually means "thirtieth time's a charm." Don't hold back anything if you believe in it. It's never taken by force, however, but always with patience and love. Once we master those two things, we can master anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment