January 8, 2012

Another dedicated post to skiing.

"Skiing: the art of catching cold and going broke while rapidly heading nowhere at great personal risk." -Unknown


That about sums it up. I think the only moments that make me tear up in the early morning is looking outside the window with inches snow on the ground. (That's not a joke, either. I know I'm weird.) Especially after this drought we've had! Anyway, yesterday was phenomenal. I got to spend the day with Jake and my dad up at Deer Valley. Since there has been no snowfall for 100+ days, (exaggeration) all the out-of-staters cancelled their trips to Utah. Needless to say, we had the mountain to ourselves.


Why do I love it? It's because I can go as fast as I want--and not get a speeding ticket. It's because I love the thrill of carving in control while focusing on technique. And, it's because I get to set aside a whole day to go enjoy the beautiful Utah mountains. The greatest thing about yesterday though, was I got to shred on these little beauties:


via: http://www.evo.com/skis/rossignol-avenger-82-ti-axial-120-bindings.aspx
Rossignol Avenger 82 Ti's. I got to demo them last year, and fell in love. They are thick enough to cruise through crud, but versatile enough to basically turn by themselves. So of course my dad got a pair this year, but chose to telemark this time, so I got to use them! I almost kept them for myself. Hehe. But, he also told me I may be getting a new pair of Rossignol's next year...hopefully I can hold out until then! 

So this was the picture of the day yesterday. I don't look as cool as Jake because I'm in the process of getting a new helmet and goggles. But he's got it covered with this new pair he got for Christmas. Man, this kid is a good skier! It was especially cool when he admitted to me on the lift that I was the only girl he'd consider going with because I'm the only one that was "good enough," and the only one that would race him. We actually had a record in our history yesterday: 45 second run. Yes, 45 seconds. He won though, sadly...only because I came upon some unexpected moguls. I may or may not have seen my life flash before my eyes. Of course this is after Dad told us to not get caught by ski patrol this time. Psh.

We were trying to get him to smile...what braces do to 14-year-old boys.


I think the reason I love skiing so much is because I grew up going with my family. It's been our favorite family activity ever since I can remember. I think it's safe to say that anyone that marries into the Hawkes family must enjoy skiing...or at least snowboarding. But then we'll just convert them.

No comments: